With such a rich and storied history of platinum records, the new Lofts @ Cherokee Studios could settle for nothing less than a LEED Platinum rating from the USGBC.
The decision to build platinum features into the project
from day one in order to ensure a platinum future was not a small one, especially when one considers that of the 4,775,000 loft, condo, and apartment homes in the State of California, only twelve units are designed to meet LEED Platinum green certification. And all twelve are located at 751 N. Fairfax.
The USGBC's Leadership in Energy and Environmental
Design (LEED) program is the one of the most rigorous green building systems in the world. Platinum is the highest certification level achievable. This high level certification is only possible through a steadfast commitment to the highes
t standards of healthy, environmentally friendly design and construction practices.
Together, REthink Development and two-time American Institute of Architects Top 10 Green Award Winner Pugh + Scarpa have created the greenest live/work building in California.
So what makes a green building platinum?
- Being evaluated as over 40% better than California's strict Title 24 Energy Efficiency Standards (this means a smaller monthly bill!)
- 20 kW solar electric array (power up your laptop with pure sun juice!)
- Dynamic double facade creates shade and buffers street noise while enabling ventilation
- Electric car charging for every unit
- Located in a walker's paradise (being car-dependent is so passe in LA!)
- Extensive bike storage (LA has one of the biggest emerging bike cultures in the nation, who knew?)
- Reclaimed Black Forest Walnut from Sinatra's Studio One
- Formaldehyde-free cabinets and flooring
- High efficiency air filtration (breathe clean air...a rarity in LA)
- Optimal natural ventilation
- Efficient lighting, including strategic use of LED lighting
- Abundant natural daylight
- Green, living, cooling roof (with crazy views of the city)
- Upgraded glass enhances thermal and sound insulation
- High recycled content and locally produced products
- Forest Stewardship Council certified wood (50% of all wood products)
- Reduced landfill waste by over 75%
- Reduced storm water runoff through groundbreaking under-sidewalk infiltration system
- Drought resistant native landscaping
- Energy star appliances
- Dual flush Toto Aquia II toilets
- Water-efficient fixtures
- Design for durability (like a good song, a green building can last forever)
- Double walls between units for sound insulation (and enhanced 'rockability')